Flat roof coating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All
I have flat roof about 50 sq mtr, currently with felt. I believe this was built around 10 years ago. Its not leaking, no mold etc. Since its quiet old, had a close look and i do see some wearing at places. Also some sections do feel bit soft if i step on it, not sure if its soft due to wearing or no OSB boards beneath (Is it possible??). But i can walk on it. This is an annexe so no regular foot fall on the roof.

As a precaution I am thinking on following options to increase its life

1) Apply acrylic kind of coat
2) Apply bitumen coating (Primer+all weather compound+ UV paint)
3) Lay EPDM on top of existing felt

I am not really a regular DIY person but think above is something i can manage. Appreciate if anyone of you can advise which option is better?
Thanks in advamce.

Sponsored Links
I am not really a regular DIY person but think above is something i can manage. Appreciate if anyone of you can advise which option is better?
The wise thing to do is check whether you need to upgrade the insulation as this will be an issue if you renovate. With that in mind The relevance of roofing material depends upon either your expertise or the availability of flat roofer in your area.

We have access to one of the best flat roof felt layers in the industry. So we always opt for the three ply mineral torch on felt method. No complaints after 30+ years.

EPDM is DIY friendly - anyone with a hammer can fit it.

GRP looks ok but is weather dependent and fickle. All you need is a manu' crash course, a certificate and a shiny new van.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back