FLAT ROOF CONSTRUCTION

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI ALL IM NEW TODAY IM LOOKING FOR SOME ADVICE ON A JOB IV GOT TO START TOMORROW A MATE OF MINE HAS TAKEN OF THIS SHED ROOF IT IS A LEAN TOO ROOF IT IS CONSTRUCTED OF 4X4 RAFTERS INSIDE THE SHED AND 4X4 PURLINS ON THE TOP HE WANTS TO PUT A FELT ROOF BACK ON SO IS IT JUST A CASE OF PUTTING NEW TIMBERS IN BETWEEN THE PURLINS TO BEEF UP THE ROOF SO IT LL TAKE THE NEW PLY WOOD ROOF OR IS IT BEST TO TAKE IT ALL OFF AND START AGAIN ANY ADVICE WOULD BE MUCH APPRIATTED :confused:

Sponsored Links
I assume you mean the rafters are on top of the purlins and are the rafters also 4 X 4 ? Very difficult to say without seeing it as it depends on the span of the roof and the pitch and the condition of the existing timbers.Can you give a bit more info ? Also take your CAP LOCK off as it is considered 'shouting' when typing.

thanx for reply sorry about the caps lock thing the roof is about 7m x 4m the wall plate timber is a bit rotten so ill have to change that one for sure the rest are nt to bad its a lean too roof up against the next door neighbours garage so cant change the height much cause it needs it go back to existing so i thought if i in fill the roof with addtional timbers ie. against the walls either end and more to strenghten the roof to take the new ply

As before , difficult to say without seeing it but if you are strengthening the existing timbers then it can only be a good thing.

Sponsored Links
hi all thanx for the replys been on the roof all day added in lots of additional timbers to the edges of the building and under each 8x4 sheet of 3/4 shuttering ply it is solid as a rock now just need to pack the ply up now with packers to get the ply flat all the way across the roof so it does not sag does any one have any other advice for me it would help a lot

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back