Flat roof construction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there,

I'm gearing up to re roof my 3m x 8m garage which has been somewhat neglected and bodged over the years, and have a question regarding the construction.

At present there is a chipboard deck supported on 6x2 joists that run across the 3m width and are spaced approx 450 centres. The deck is perfectly flat and is covered with bitumen and chippings. At some point in the dim and distant past this covering must have failed and the whole lot was clad over with corrugated cement boards mounted on only 3 diminishing strips that run the 8m length of the garage, and give a fall of around 50mm.

Fast forward to the present day, and the cement boards are bowed and leaking onto the bitumen, which is leaking through the chipboard (now the consistency of a wet weetabix), and flooding the floor in several places, hence the need for replacement!

I'm planning to strip the roof back to the joists and then fit firring pieces to each one to give around a 1 :40 fall before boarding over in osb and fitting an epdm membrane.

I'm wondering if anyone can give advice as to how best to fit the firring pieces to the tops of the joists? Can I just nail them together, if so what size nails and at what centres? And could I use a pair of flat nail plates at the thicker end (likely to be 100mm)? Are there any guidelines on this in building regs etc. that anyone knows of?

Thanks in advance,

Graham... :D

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back