Flat roof cost

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a quote to have our front dormer re felted from our usual builder.

Size is 6.5 x 2m

We were quoted £850 to strip off old felt and apply two layers of felt using hot bitumen and then torch on mineral felt cappings. All rubbish removed from job.

This price isn't for reboarding and I thought it seemed high considering the price of materials and that its just one guy doing the work.

Im going to look at getting other quotes but not sure who to ask as we have always used this builder in the past with no problems. It took him about a month to aactuallygive us the price because he's really busy so I did wonder if he had priced himself out of the job.

Could any roofers from the lancashire area give there thoughts on this please.

Sponsored Links
Maybe slightly high considering he's not re-decking but there could be other factors to take into consideration such as waste disposal, prob £80 worth of skip there. Like ourselves the builder may need to make a certain amount of profit per day to cover overheads especially if he's not a guy doing it from the back of a van.

Your best form of comparison is to get 2 other quotes, it won't cost you anything

That is far to expensive considering no boards are being replaced. It works out at £65 a square metre which really is high.

You can get a reboard and rubber roof for less than that. Make sure you get at least three more quotes to compare.

Add to the material costs.
Vehicle, fuel,wear and tear, tools replacement, clothin, public liability insurance, rubbish disposal etc. all comes into pricing up a job and a job that's done properly.
Look at it this way a family friend a widow had problem garage door and I knew it could not be repaired so told her to get a garage door speciallist in while on holiday she calls a cowboy who bodged the door charging £150 we came back she said I saved a lot got it repaired. Did not get a receipt did not get him to show it worked. I lifted it up the up and over door, that had been repaired she save money on, to take rubbish to skip outside she walked under it it fell on her head with me taking the brunt of the blow on my shoulder. We got the door down and then I saw he had jammed a spring which was far too long and stron into the spring box it forced its way out so the door collapsed. New door £600 wasted money £150. Moral is don't always believe a high price is expensive but believe a too lower price means 'cutting corners' resulting in a bodged job.
Just follow the rules and get in writing a proformer account that is an estimate of account of work procedure and what each item costs then the labour charges. but also take in to account what I've listed above. I have had customers who think I've ovrerpriced come back asking me to re-do a shoddy job. Because of my work methods I did not end up rich and with that holiday villa in Spain but a modest bungaow struggling on my mortgage now clear. and at 73 deserve every brick.

Sponsored Links
thanks for all those who replied, I have had 2 other builders round over the weekend and am just waiting to hear back with a price now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back