Flat roof extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Modernising a late 60's flat roof, single story extension has involved removing/replacing the front wall & 2 pre-cast concrete lintels. It has occurred to me that the timber flat roof joists were not tied to the walls, just resting on the top, is this normal?

It's obviously been that way since it was built & hasn't blown off yet but I am a little concerned & wonder if I should fit some ties. If so, what type? I cant fit conventional hangers as the roof is still in place. Also how many, should I tie back to the new wall i.e. would every other joist be OK?

Sponsored Links
you can get galvanized twist straps that can be fixed to individual joists and then to the brickwork.

it may be wise to fix a series of noggings along the the joists at the point where they bear onto the wall.
this will tie them together.

then fix a twist strap every third joist.

noseall said:
it may be wise to fix a series of noggings along the the joists at the point where they bear onto the wall.
this will tie them together.

then fix a twist strap every third joist.
Looking at the available steelwork in the local B merchants I was trying to figure out what I could use & hadn't thought of that, it would certainly make it easier than trying to bodge a hanger into place; thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back