Flat roof leak at gable end update

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Water has been dripping behind my fibreglass flat roof. I removed the plasterboards and could see the water dripping in. I removed the lead flashing to the first dry joist which is approx 50 inches from the end of the roof and found roofing felt. I asked around and found that it was originally a felt roof before it started to leak, so they didn't remove it before fibreglassing. On further inspection, the felt had been concreted into the gable end and then a concrete apex on top where the chimney is so that water can run away.

Water is coming through the apex somewhere and dripping down the walls instead of over the top of the roof and away.

I have lead flashed the chimney and put new concrete around the pot just in case.

I am going to remove the apex and get as much of the felt out and brick up properly, then replace the apex. I also have to replace some of the flooring as it has rotted. Any input would be great. I live in the highlands and the house is predominantly built form slate.

Steve

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back