flat roof leaks - acrypol+ any good?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a flat roof covered with mastic asphalt and I have a couple of leaks to fix. One is immediately obvious as I can see a couple of small cracks in the roof and these are right above the water damage in the house. The other is a bit more difficult - there are stairs going up to the roof which are joined to a chimney. The canopy of the stairs is also covered with mastic asphalt which has been angled up to the edge of the chimney where the 2 meet. (hope this makes sense!). The chimney is not used and is capped off and covered with cement, but I suspect the water is either coming through this (as it is uneven and covered in moss) or on the side of the chimney where it joins the asphalt. I tried waterseal, but dont think this stuff is much good.

My thought was to buy Acrypol+ and just coat the whole top of the chimney and down the side to meet up with the asphalt on the canopy. I'd also just smooth the acropol over the other crack in the roof.

I'm after a quick fix as I am selling up the house and I have had one guy out to quote who wants £500 to do the above mentioned work. This seemed expensive and thought I could probably do this myself?

What do you think? Any help much appreciated! ;)

Sponsored Links
Hi

As mentioned the damage is only very minor and hence to redo the whole roof for 2 small areas of damage would seem a little OTT! ;)

I am not sure what you are getting at - do you think the Acrypol is not suitable for this type of repair and we would be better recoating with Mastic ashpalt?

Sponsored Links
I have fixed some absolutely awful leaks in my garage roof with Acrypol. Does what it says on the tin and very easy to apply (sticks like s**t). It's put up with real gales, sharp frosts and heavy rain and no problem. In your position that's what I'd do.

I do think that a leak in a flat roof fixed with Acrypol is a stop gap though as other leaks will doubtless be along soon. If I was buying a flat-roofed property I would make sure to inspect the roof and if I found Acrypol (you can't really miss it) I'd factor in a new roof in a year or 2. So probably you'll need to put up with getting knocked down a bit for the short-term repair costs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back