Flat roof & neighbour advice!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone!

I am looking for some advice please. My garage is separate to my house, it is attached to my neighbours and shares a flat roof. The situation is not ideal as their side drains onto my side - my property has the gutter and the drainage/soakaway.

When we moved in, we knew that the roof needed completely replacing. It had more holes than swiss cheese and the chip board had blown. This was our priority due to us wanting to use the garage, and when mentioning to the neighbour that we needed to get it done, they said that they didn't want to get theirs done (due to funds) even though they knestated that they knew it needed replacing.

Anyway my man was confident and replaced mine however since doing so I have had water coming in. I had the roof surveyed by an independant and the report said that although my builder had made a couple of followed the code of practice in a couple of places it wouldn't have made it leak. Instead the surveyer stated in his report that the neighbouring roof (being the same age as the one I removed) was old, un-serviced, covered in moss, holding water and allowing any water to track in and under my new roof.

The neighbour has blamed me ever since for their roof leaking as it apparently wasn't leaking before I had the work done (I don't know this for sure). They had repaired a leak previously in the middle on their side and had used what looks like mastic.

My roofer agreed to replace the whole lot under warrenty which is all fine by me and the neightbour has reluctently agreed to do theirs at the same time. The whole roof is now going to be raised and pitched to a modern standard (it really was almost a flat roof in every sense of the word). However as they will not acknowledge that they have a duty of care towards my property, am I in my right to refuse them when it comes to draining onto my roof and instead request that their roof slopes away from mine and is drained on their side? I see it as my roof will have double the water on it with their run off as well.

In addition can I be held responsible for their old knackered roof, which is covered in chippings, moss and dirt?

Or is it a case that my contractor shouldn't have touched it with a barge pole?

Sponsored Links
Hello everyone!

I am looking for some advice please. My garage is separate to my house, it is attached to my neighbours and shares a flat roof. The situation is not ideal as their side drains onto my side - my property has the gutter and the drainage/soakaway.

When we moved in, we knew that the roof needed completely replacing. It had more holes than swiss cheese and the chip board had blown. This was our priority due to us wanting to use the garage, and when mentioning to the neighbour that we needed to get it done, they said that they didn't want to get theirs done (due to funds) even though they knestated that they knew it needed replacing.

Anyway my man was confident and replaced mine however since doing so I have had water coming in. I had the roof surveyed by an independant and the report said that although my builder had made a couple of followed the code of practice in a couple of places it wouldn't have made it leak. Instead the surveyer stated in his report that the neighbouring roof (being the same age as the one I removed) was old, un-serviced, covered in moss, holding water and allowing any water to track in and under my new roof.

The neighbour has blamed me ever since for their roof leaking as it apparently wasn't leaking before I had the work done (I don't know this for sure). They had repaired a leak previously in the middle on their side and had used what looks like mastic.

My roofer agreed to replace the whole lot under warrenty which is all fine by me and the neightbour has reluctently agreed to do theirs at the same time. The whole roof is now going to be raised and pitched to a modern standard (it really was almost a flat roof in every sense of the word). However as they will not acknowledge that they have a duty of care towards my property, am I in my right to refuse them when it comes to draining onto my roof and instead request that their roof slopes away from mine and is drained on their side? I see it as my roof will have double the water on it with their run off as well.

In addition can I be held responsible for their old knackered roof, which is covered in chippings, moss and dirt?

Or is it a case that my contractor shouldn't have touched it with a barge pole?
the problem you have is a very common one in the trade with water ingress related to next door..you will have to make sure there is drains on his side for the water drainage as a lot of shared garages only came with one gulley for water drainage which happens to be on your side..

Thank you for your reply.

So basically if they do not have any soak aways etc already on their side then I cannot ask them to pitch their roof away from mine? The garage was designed to drain on my side however I just want to remove any liability that they have towards me.

This is very tough situation for you. You should use pipe attach with roof .then water is passing through pipe. Otherwise u can use soak anyway from your suitable side. If I get any idea about you problem then surely inform you as soon as possible. You can discuss with good roofer who can solve your problem easily.

Sponsored Links
Spelling-Grammar_Time.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back