FLAT ROOF - ONE LAYER OF FELT?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to replace my existing flat roof.

I bought this Protect A1 underlay sheet from Screwfix which claims to be better than traditional felt underlay. The plan is to lay a sheet of this stuff (instead of the normal 2 layers of underlay) and have a capsheet on top.

Will this work?

Further, I am also very wary of moisture coming through over time. Would it be possible to place a damp-proof membrane underneath the capsheet using felt adhesive?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Keep your receipt! I believe the A1 is meant to go under tiles on a pitched roof. AFAIK Screwfix don't sell any flat roofing materials.

Felt adhesive should only be used on felt, a good quality felt is what's needed, and ideally 3 layers. How big an area do you have to cover?

Many thanks for the response.

The flat roof is about 2m x 2m. The reason I am looking for alternatives is that I dont feel felt will last. I had a guy who did some work on the same flat roof about 3yrs ago, and water has penetrated onto the board and now I have to replace the whole lot! And I paid a lot of money for it as well!

Are there alternatives other than felt?

Also, can you respond on the point I had on the damp proof membrane? Cheers.

Felt, done properly should last more than 10 and up to 25 years in the right place.

Bitumen felt is a layer system. One layer is bonded to the deck and then another one or two laid on that. You can't fit a DPM on the deck first, and there is no advantage in it in any case.

Water does not penetrate felt over time. It gets in if a joint opens, or the felt is punctured.

Don't let that cowboy job put you off felt. Done right, it will last.

And alternative is rubber/epdm cover. Lots of posts on here about it

Sponsored Links
2 mtr x 2mtr should not have cost much.. certainly not worth faffing around with cold adhesives etc

I am planning to replace my existing flat roof.

I bought this Protect A1 underlay sheet from Screwfix which claims to be better than traditional felt underlay. The plan is to lay a sheet of this stuff (instead of the normal 2 layers of underlay) and have a capsheet on top.

Will this work?

Further, I am also very wary of moisture coming through over time. Would it be possible to place a damp-proof membrane underneath the capsheet using felt adhesive?

Any advice will be appreciated.
use torch on felt, you can get 2mm underlay then a layer of 4mm torch on cap sheet on top, the felt itself is a form of damproof membrane. be careful when using a cas torch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back