Flat roof problems

Most appreciated Xenon!! :D

Thank you all and have a great Christmas and New Year!

Henry. :) :) :)

Sponsored Links
Hi I am a RoofKrete contractor; we are also trained in Liquid Plastic Liquid Rubber Kemper and EPDM
Roofkrete comes with the best guarantee on the market it’s a good product but hard to install and its expensive, somebody mentioned expansion Roofkrete is flexible to a point even throw its bases on cement. Roofkrete comes into itself if you are reroofing a balcony as you can walk on without covering it, therefore saving the cost of tiling and decking, for a standard roof it is expensive.
EPDM is good we use the Rubberbond system better than the firestone EPDM, all EPDM is good and rearly comes into itself for large flat roofs that are insulated ( it finishes black so no sola reflection)
Liquid Plastic and Kemper are really good for flat roofs that have lots of details to them.
We only use Liquid rubber for repairing roofs. More details and photos in our website www.London-flat-roofing.co.uk , also have YouTube videos of EPDM and Liquid plastic
Hope this helps you

I've just been on the RoofKrete website. Would you trust 7mm of sand & cement to keep your building dry? It doesn't seem to have been in existence long enough to prove the validity of the guarantees its offering.

Also the 'Fisher Price' My first website doesn't give me much confidence. My 12 year old son could build a more professional website. :LOL:

In my opinion stick to a product that is manufactured in a controlled factory environment like EPDM. Guaranteed performance.

7mm of Roofkrete is very strong I didn’t trust the product when I started it so I tested it extensively and it douse stand up to abuse. I will be posting a video soon showing a 1.5m square test peace of RoofKrete being thrown about then placed in a bonfire until glowing red, then smashed to pieces, its strong however you are correct in one thing it’s all down to quality control if the installers are no good then the roof won’t last. For this reason I personally train all my installer's and overlook all work, each stage of instillation photos and video are taken, a lot of work so it’s an expensive roof-covering. I love EPDM also. (posted from my iphone)

Sponsored Links
The sole purpose of a flat roof is to stop water entering the building. It can have the title of the worlds strongest fireproof membrane. But in all honesty who cares. Its grey cement which would need a finish/covering to look asthetically pleasing. So I'm not convinced by the 'walk on' surface argument.

In my opinion it's a ridiculous concept that surely cannot be replicated to the same waterproof guaranteed standard on every installation. I hope you have a good lawyer if you install a bad one on a fancy listed Westminster building. Nightmare scenario! :eek:

I have no doubt you're a good installer of several roofing membranes. But I live in Derby and you won't be able to personally oversee an installation here.

I still stand by what I say. Stick to a flat roofing membrane that is manufactured in factory controlled conditions. Then at least you're not trusting the installer is a good one to validate the manufacturing of the material in adverse weather conditions to validate the guarantee.

By the way how do you make mortar waterproof to the same standard every time in changing weather conditions?

Mr Jon Thomas (BTec MOT)

Surely regardless of where the product is prepared the quality of the end product is down to the installation.

Surely regardless of where the product is prepared the quality of the end product is down to the installation.
In the case of roofing, yes. But the Chinese haven`t yet got into supplying roofing materials YET :rolleyes:

All roofing is down to how its installs.
Take Mineral Felt a good product with a bad name, if installers refused to install it on a roof that didn’t have the correct falls, took care and paid attention to details then Felt would have a better name.
Train the installer and give him time to do a good job, also build out problems, this is where EPDM Or Kemper
come in less joints less margin for error.

I know this hence the post....
Totally agree with your comments .
I would like to know more about Roofkrete...But there is limited info on their site..

I know this hence the post....
Totally agree with your comments .
I would like to know more about Roofkrete...But there is limited info on their site..

Ask away, I need to update my website and YouTube with more info on RoofKrete, we have been installing it now for around a year, RoofKrete is under some serious expansion at the moment, last year the owner sadly passed away apparently he was one of those mad scientist kept the secretes of the system to himself, developed the system over 20 years and has been collecting certification ever since, as you will see on their web page they got the Millennium award from Tony Blair, they are also recognised by Zurich insurance company, and all Local authorities, at the moment they are going for their BBA certification, not having it is not coursing a problem apparently because they are Local authorities approved and are “Agenda 21” friendly they have a place in the market what’s this all mean. Its a green product that is land fill friendly when it gets to the end of its life span and because its like span is expected to be over 4 or five that of any other product its really green. (It’s not cheap)
Steve Dickinson

Come on...... its just ferrocement. :LOL:

This technology has been used for many purposes for hundreds of years. Mortar into Mesh! There is nothing new about discovering reinforced concrete is fireproof and strong. You don't need to put it on you tube.

How do you make mortar waterproof to the same standard every time in changing weather conditions?

Also what product are you installing if the "secret of the system" died with the so called inventor. Surely this invalidates any existing certifications and raises quality questions about what product you are actually installing?

Mr Jon Thomas (OPC)

His wife and the small close teem he worked with have been able to work out the formula's and press on. You are very sceptical and sound sour ! Is there a reason for this? We have some people in the west of England developing a product further than its been taken before succeed or not they are having a go and its looking good. I thing they have just sighed a large multi-national Co. As a co partner but awaiting news. Flat roofing and roof repairs are still in the dinosaur age we need to move on and use some of the new product available to us

All sounds as impressive as the website.

It feels like Jeremy Paxman's infamous Michael Howard interview

How do you make mortar waterproof to the same standard every time in changing weather conditions?

Am I sour. No just a builder who knows reinforced concrete is fireproof and strong. :)

Mr Jon Thomas (Blue Peter Badge Owner)

You make sure that you gauge your mixing materials, you control your working environment so that your laying conditions are always the same, as I've pointed out Roofkreet is a expensive roofing material, its green and is an excellent material to use for a roof garden, or a flat roof you walk on. We at London Flat Roofing tends to get lots of awkward flat roofs, some are land locked and very hard to access or reach, Roofkreet is a liquid roofing material and is easy to move in its component form. If you look at the cost of re-roofing a roof then adding promenade tiles the cost of Roofkreet is not that much more and you get the advantage of a roof that will probably last longer than the building its been installed on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back