flat roof, quote advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all

the flat roof at my btl property has failed, see pic. i don't have the exact dimensions however the door will hopefully give you an idea of the width, i reckon the depth is around 160cm - 170cm. i've been given two quotes from different roofers, do you think these are reasonable? if it has any bearing, i'm in scotland. also, in terms of longevity and overall robustness, do you think i should be going for the second quote i.e. am i right in thinking that's 'best practice'? or, based on the assumption the existing roof structure will have some form of insulation within it, should i save myself over £200 and opt for the first quote?

quote 1 - £717.60
- prepare existing roof
- recover with 4mm roofing membrane, torch applied
- fit drips and trim
- cut raggle and fit lead flashing
- clear all debris

quote 2 - £950
- supply & fit 3 layers torch applied felt with coolag insulation
- 20 year guarantee

i'm waiting to hear back from the first company re: what guarantee they offer.

Sponsored Links
So the first dude wants 750 quid to torch on one layer of 4mm?

:eek:

It looks like it. I'm disappointed in that he did work for me elsewhere at a very competitive price (slate roof) so i asked him to quote for these works thinking/hoping he'd be competitive enough for me not to seek other quotes. However the £700 seemed quite high given, as you say, he appears to be suggesting one layer. So i sought the second quote.

Does the £950 seem reasonable enough to you for the more extensive works?

Second quote details more and mentions a guarantee, first does neither.
Based on this alone, its a no brainer.

Sponsored Links
i'm getting a third quote from a company that does multiple layers to compare with second quote. will very likely be ruling the first quote out due to single layer and no feedback re guarantee.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back