Flat roof repair help regarding material

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently had my kitchen roof leaking which has been fixed temporarily. I need to put new covering on the roof as existing one has cracks and it even has a water puddle of 1 sq meter half inch deep.

After reading about roof fixing I feel more confused as what to do now with so many choices in material.

Main question I have is, which material to choose:
1. EPDM (rubber)
2. Easy cold application Felt from Wickes
3. Traditional felt applied using heat gun
4. should I consider GRP, from the description and reviews, I am not liking it.

Should I also ask builder to remove existing covering to inspect the condition of wood underneath?

I am a moderate DIYer, but I have no idea about roofing, shall I just buy a DIY EPDM kit from ebay and fix the roof myself using Wickes cold application felt as I do want to save the money but at the same time I want proper job to be done.

Another thing I am considering whether to give complete contract to builder or buy the material myself and call a handyman who will charge a day rate as the handyman would be cheaper.

Roof area is 17' x 9'

appreciate your help.

Sponsored Links
The roof is one of the most important part of your house, so Id suggest getting a flat roofer in to either do it in torch on felt or epdm.

Strip all existing of and check boards, you will probably need new boards if going the epdm roof.

I wouldn't trust buying the rubber of ebay, use someone that gives a 20yr warranty on the rubber.

I think the cold applied felt from Wickes is diy, and wouldn't trust it long term.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back