Flat roofing on dormer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm lead to believe flat roofs are to be re-felted every 10 years or so.

What are the tell-tale signs of when it needs doing... other than when there's puddles below it?

Does a dormer get re-insulated at the same time?

Is there an alternative to felting... such as lead sheeting (please correct my guess work) or new technological weathering materials?

Many thanks in anticipation!!!

Regards

UFcuk :confused:

Sponsored Links
Not really, some last longer, some shorter! depends on who did them, and what felts used

Lack of green mineral on top, blisters, cracks on upstands, Also the bitumen will get brittle underneth, and give before the felt

Not usally if felting only, or reboarding, just strip, and replace whats there already, unless told before hand to replace

Yes, lead costs more, and a job i went to this week the lead had been nicked of the roof, very common now

On a simple dormer roof you can use a single ply system which is basically a sheet of rubber cut to fit your roof and stuck down with adhesive, the rubber can be guaranteed for up to 30 years.

Sponsored Links
You could use many different types of materials on this.Tpo,pvc,torch-on,rubber,peel and stick,etc.It all depends on the size and pitch.IE:I wouldnt use peel and stick for a large flat surface with protusions.I would use any of the others for any low-slope application

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back