Flat roofquote

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a single story extension with a flat roof area 4m x 3m.

Had a quote of £1,742 inc VAT for three layers of torched on felt. 1 venting base layer, torch on underlay, finished with elastomeric grey cap sheet. Warm roof system, existing roof boards sound.

Included in price is relacement pvc fascia to 3 sides and guttering to one 4m side. Felt upstand would have liked lead. Roofer been around for a long time and had 2 recommendations.

Does this sound about right?

Second roofer coming to quote tomorrow NFRC and Trustmark.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks

The roof boards he said are sound are the ply boards attached to the roof joists the existing felt is attached to. He didn't specify which warm roof he was using but he quoted £460 + Vat for that

The new fascia and guttering I asked for is PVC.

The warm roof is bumping up the price I wonder if it will make a great deal of difference, but I'd hate to regret it later because once the roof is done can't change my mind.

Price is a bit strong considering its single storey. £1200 tops with 100mm insulation. And you have a felt upstand with lead cover flashing.

Sponsored Links
Had another quote today for £1380 inc Vat with 100ml insulation and it is 15m2 not 12 so I suppose that would be about right then.

This guy doesn't do lead flashing either says it only gets nicked! but every house on this street has had lead over the bay for 53 years and nobody has nicked any yet, so I guess I will only get lead if I insist, at about £100 extra?

Just found this site

http://www.the-flat-roof.co.uk/Sect3_5.pdf

Suggests a triangular fillet fitted where insulation board meets wall to avoid cracking and small gap caused by sharp 90o angle and lead flashing inserted above felt upstand and folded over. Also says if lead flashing is omitted it is usually due to extra cost.

Fillet is not essential with todays modern felts. Isulation should be envoloped with vapour barrier though to ensure an airtight parcel. If lead is secure around your way then insist on it. Tucking felt into chase is not really favoured nowdays.

Thanks Xenon

I have found someone who insists on lead flashing he won't do a flat roof without it, and yes it is secure round here.

He is very busy though, been a roofer all his working life and he has had his own roofing supply company for 30 years does a lot of listed buildings etc. He only does asphalt flat roofs.

He has agreed to come and have a look.

Asphalt is a good roof, ask him if he's using 988 or Permaphalt :mrgreen:

It will also need a freestanding kerb at abutments.

Ok thanks,

Roofer just left apparently he does do elastromeric as well and that is what he is recommending for my roof, with either solar paint, mineral, or chipping finish. Says the mastic asphalt will be expensive and will not necessarily last any longer than the 3 layer felt! He only uses asphalt commercialy, quarries, tanking etc.

Bit disapointed and more confused, he is sending a quote through.

Have roofer/builder #4 tomorrow, over the phone told me the mastic asphalt is the rolls royce of flat roofs and does the elastomeric as well but he will not touch the single ply finishes. He will be the last, then I will have to make a decision.

I have a single story extension with a flat roof area 4m x 3m.

Had a quote of £1,742 inc VAT for three layers of torched on felt. 1 venting base layer, torch on underlay, finished with elastomeric grey cap sheet. Warm roof system, existing roof boards sound.

Included in price is relacement pvc fascia to 3 sides and guttering to one 4m side. Felt upstand would have liked lead. Roofer been around for a long time and had 2 recommendations.

Does this sound about right?

Second roofer coming to quote tomorrow NFRC and Trustmark.

Thanks

Sorry to throw a spanner in the works but have you considered EPDM? I cant help but think £1700 is a bit strong for a 12 sqm roof. I have around 100 Firestone EPDM contractors in Derby if you need some contacts!

Just a thought!

Thanks for your reply,

The actual area is 15m2 I wasn't allowing for the overlaps and upstand.

Had a company couple of years ago who kept cold calling me about my roof, suspect they had been on google earth but they deny'd it. Anyway I said ok eventually and a huge guy with no teeth turned up, he wanted £1,800 for Firestone EPDM told him no way, then he started coming down £100 at a time. Next time they called threatened them with trading standards and never heard from them again.

Never considered EPDM since then, except for my shed as a DIY project.

Has to be Mastic Asphalt, built up elastromeric, or if it wasn't for the window above making things difficult, pitched.

Thanks for your reply,

The actual area is 15m2 I wasn't allowing for the overlaps and upstand.

Had a company couple of years ago who kept cold calling me about my roof, suspect they had been on google earth but they deny'd it. Anyway I said ok eventually and a huge guy with no teeth turned up, he wanted £1,800 for Firestone EPDM told him no way, then he started coming down £100 at a time. Next time they called threatened them with trading standards and never heard from them again.

Never considered EPDM since then, except for my shed as a DIY project.

Has to be Mastic Asphalt, built up elastromeric, or if it wasn't for the window above making things difficult, pitched.

Haha! Made me chuckle!

You would be looking around £700 for fitting Firestone EPDM down here, most of our guys work around the £45 sqm price range. Prices up the country may be more i dont know.

No worries thought, just a thought! I hope you get it sorted soon.

Ok thanks,

Roofer just left apparently he does do elastromeric as well and that is what he is recommending for my roof, with either solar paint, mineral, or chipping finish. Says the mastic asphalt will be expensive and will not necessarily last any longer than the 3 layer felt! He only uses asphalt commercialy, quarries, tanking etc.

Bit disapointed and more confused, he is sending a quote through.

Have roofer/builder #4 tomorrow, over the phone told me the mastic asphalt is the rolls royce of flat roofs and does the elastomeric as well but he will not touch the single ply finishes. He will be the last, then I will have to make a decision.

Elastomeric Asphalt is the Bentley of roof finishes ;) Its £450 a ton and a ton covers 20m2. £40 m2 to fit, add £25 m2 for insulation. The first fella i would avoid, the second fella knows his onions, especially regarding single ply. ;)

Ok, Xenon thanks.

My very, very approximate estimate could, with pvc fascia, gutter, lead flashing and extra labour come in at approx. £500 more than the elastomeric felt, which if thats about right is not too bad for a superior finish, would love to go for it.
But.........
If it was a balcony, and there was going to be more traffic than the window cleaner occasionally and had I had come across mastic asphalt 20 years ago when the roof was last recovered and I was 50 instead of 70, I would definitely have gone for it.

So I will probably go for the built up felt and spend a little less of the kids inheritance.

Thankyou Xenon you have been a great help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back