Flat to pitched roof garage conversion on boundary. What about overhanging guttering?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I have a single garage at the back of my garden and the side of it is right on the border of my plot. There is an alleyway next to it which allows access to the rear gardens of a number of houses. I would like to change the roof from a flat to a pitched roof. As it’s within 2m of the boundary I am aware I will need planning permission for this.

The question I have is around an overhang for the guttering. i would need some way of managing rainwater but any guttering would overhang the pathway. Is there any simple way to avoid this and realistically am I likely to have any comeback for a gutter overhanging this area? I don’t have a clue who owns the pathway but don’t want to change the roof and have to put it back to a flat one.

Thanks
Greg
IMG_1590.jpeg

Sponsored Links
A recessed gutter would deal with this, but the last resort.

Apply for PP, with the gutter and eaves across the boundary, and see what comments come back. Blue line around the alley if you have use of it.

I assume you are going for a 4 sided roof but how about a gable end on the ally and your garden side that way you will not be going over your boundary.
Oh wait you still will be on the roofline verge. But not as much as eves and gutter would be.

Personally I'd speak to the relevant parties who use the alleyway, the guttering is going to be up out the way and you can turn the end so that it discharges on your property.

I can't see why any reasonable person would see an issue with it being there and your more likely to get them onside raising it beforehand than just sticking it there as that gives the impression you feel you have the right to do what you like.

Sponsored Links
That’s everyone for your comments.

Woody, I’ve put a proposed plan together and sent it to the councils pre planning department, asking for comment.

Aveatry, I hadn’t even thought of putting the roof around the other way. This is a potential but I was looking to extend the roof beyond the back of the garage to cover an outdoor kitchen. Whilst not quite what I wanted it certainly gives something to consider.

thomp1983 thanks for your comment. I have suggested this in my pre planning notes as can’t seem to find who owns the alley. Certainly be worthwhile speaking to the people who use it.

Aveatry, I hadn’t even thought of putting the roof around the other way. This is a potential but I was looking to extend the roof beyond the back of the garage to cover an outdoor kitchen. Whilst not quite what I wanted it certainly gives something to consider.
I think that if you follow the roof line on a 4 sided roof towards your house for an outdoor kitchen then by the time you have any useful roof coverage then the section nearest your house will be too low. But if you had a gable end on that side you could carry it out how ever far you needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back