Flatroof Joist Opening for Roof Windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have 225 x 75 joists, 5.8m span.

I wasn't planning on any roof windows but after getting the first deck on it is rather dark and when some changes are made to exisiting house the existing livingroom will get a bit darker so I'm planning a roof window in new extension towards livingroom end wall opening.

Window people said that a 300mm x 1500mm unit would weigh about 40kg, do you think two joists bolted together each side of the window would be enough? Roof is 400mm centers, particular size I was looking at would need 500mm gap.

Window http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331071308...49&var=540269236576&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

U-Values seem good, look good, bigger and cheaper than a velux fixed dome, they are rather tempting.

Any thoughts re joists would be great! :)

Thanks a lot
Hank

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
5.8m is a large span for timber, how solid does the roof feel to walk on? I would think two joists bolted together would be enough.

with two sets of noggins its really solid(was quite surprised actually once it was complete), first deck is on and it feels fine, not bouncy/wobbly etc. Just need to undo some of the work to create the opening.

I think two each side should be fine but waiting on BC who are being painfully slow.

Sponsored Links
Finally got answers from building control.
Having the joists at 500mm centres for the skylight is fine they said, just extra noggins at each end of skylight. Ok to proceed :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back