Flats above a shop. Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There are 6 flats above a shop. All 6 flats and the shop are fed from a consumer unit in the shop (not ideal if shop is shut!) the consumer unit has 12 rewireable fuses and then a separate fusebox with 2 rewireable fuses and an mcb and there are 3 electricity meters. Not sure what is doing what cos I couldn't get permission to check. In order for the flats to pass a periodic does each flat need to have a meter and fuseboard? Or is there any other way around this cos elec board have quoted nigh on £60k to install separate meters for each flat.

Sponsored Links
60K ?!

Landlords can (I'm fairly sure, but somebody will correct me if not) install meters, coin meters and key meters themselves (by using an electrician rather than the eleco direct). But - you probably need to use eleco for direct-charge meters where they bill the resident.

I bet they'll revise prices if you can get all the wiring in place first and just let them do final connection, so chat to them if you can get through to someone sensible.

Others will advise on the periodic requirement for landlords, but I imagine being able to safely isolate your own supply is a bit of a given.

If the customer is paying their bill direct to a supplier, they have a right of access to that meter.

Sadly there are too many like this where meters etc are in a shop with no access

Sponsored Links
There are 6 flats above a shop. All 6 flats and the shop are fed from a consumer unit in the shop (not ideal if shop is shut!) the consumer unit has 12 rewireable fuses and then a separate fusebox with 2 rewireable fuses and an mcb and there are 3 electricity meters. Not sure what is doing what cos I couldn't get permission to check. In order for the flats to pass a periodic does each flat need to have a meter and fuseboard? Or is there any other way around this cos elec board have quoted nigh on £60k to install separate meters for each flat.

Can you think of or find a regulation which calls for each flat to have a meter and fuseboard?

Is it dangerous the way it is?

Or is it just inconvenient?

I was trying to steer the OP in the direction with my questions ;)

yes 314.1.(point 1 and 3)
same as above
its massively inconvenient. ;)

That's a bit dubious. The installation is divided up, it is just that the tennants can't access the fuses.

I can think of better regs to quote.

Also how would you code this?

yes 314.1.(point 1 and 3)
same as above

I think you need to have a closer read of 314.1. It talks about dividing the installation into cicuirts and lists the reasons why.

Have a look at 132.12 point (ii). This may be of greater relevance.

elec board have quoted nigh on £60k to install separate meters for each flat.
That does seem rather high.

Was the quote to provide additional meters on an existing supply (so no increase in capacity) - or did someone ask for 6x new supplies, which would cost far more.

Generally we would look for one main fuse per meter so it would need that to start with!

Having seen some interesting load approval forms over the years it seems the "art" of working out load requirements and diversity is lacking in so many!

Having seen some interesting load approval forms over the years it seems the "art" of working out load requirements and diversity is lacking in so many!

It all depends on what averaging period you want your diversified load over doesn't it :LOL: . And the reality tends to be quite a bit below what the figure on paper would suggest

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back