flats, plastic supply pipes to taps?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
ive just been to quote on a bathroom installation in a block of apartments. However the bathroom basin and W.C. seem to have supply pipes of a type of not seen before. If I didnt know better id almost think they were made of the same plastic as overflow piping.

As this runs throughout the property on the cold supply (hot is in standard copper) im sure its just something i havent seen before as it seems to have a range of fittings such as tap connectors etc.

Can anyone shed some light on it? Can you get solvent weld supply pipes?
Ideally I want to find a converter to copper to make my life easier when it comes to moving the bathroom about,

many thanks for any help you can give,

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Hi, a while ago I was helping do a bathroom suite.. This had dark plastic supply pipes not standard 15mm stuff. Outside diameter slightly larger than copper..
Anyway took a piece of this unusual plastic down to plumb center where they recognised it as something once used by the council.. Plumb center didn't have anything to get onto copper but drain center did..
I think the fitting was £8 ish.. and its bulky.. In the end it wasn't used..

After removing the plastic from the stop tap to wc, 15mm copper pipe went in its place, and problem was solved. Hope that can be any help.

Sponsored Links
HI

I came across this before.these pipes or fittings are not as flexible as pushfit pipes.you do not have to to replace whole piping.try local industrial plastic merchants.there is a place in preston,lancashire where they sell everything for these types.P.I.P preston industrial plastic.

If it is dark a dark blue colour its called Durapipe, which is like solvent weld but a different type of solvent weld, it used to be used by local councils and was very brittle in cold weather you only had to look a it and it broke, you had to get it perfectly dry glue new fittings and leave for 24hr before refilling, they then made a solvent weld which supposed to be able to use wet, this didn't really work everytime, they also made a compression fitting which made life easier, there used to be a firm in London off the Purley Way which sold it.

i think its called bundy pipe, i came across it b4, heard there is a place in london enfield that sells it. it was used when copper was in shortage or very expensive as my teacher explained to me

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back