Flexable waterproof tile adhesive for plywood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to tile a shower enclosure that has external ply stud walls, do I need flexible waterproof adhesive?

If so can someone please tell me where to get some I can find waterproof tile adhesive and waterproof flexable FLOOR tile adhesive but not waterproof flexable wall tile adhesive.

And what grout do I use?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
This is my own opinion, I would never tiles my shower again, too much hassles for cleaning, moulds problem, re-grouting etc.

You can buy internal shower panels kit for maintenance trouble free. The only thing you would have to look after is the sealant around the top of the shower tray.

I was told they don't do White Star anymore, so they gave me a BAL product called Grip is this correct?

Should be OK, its just not as flexible, I bought 4 large tubs of whitestar only last week.

Jason

masona said:
This is my own opinion, I would never tiles my shower again, too much hassles for cleaning, moulds problem, re-grouting etc.

You can buy internal shower panels kit for maintenance trouble free. The only thing you would have to look after is the sealant around the top of the shower tray.

Where do you get these from.. sounds like a great idea. I have seen similar in hotel bathrooms etc. Never been able to find 'em anywhere though.

Hi,
You can buy Mermaid Showerwall. I think it's made by a company in Yorkshire (?). Basically a rigid panel for lining showers instead of tiles. Most of the designs available are marble effect, but they have some nice 'bubble' designs that are a bit more trendy (!)
All the best,
Mark

there are not any waterproof products, they are tested as water resistant meaning water will pass through but not degrade.

don't get waterproof and water resistant mixed up.

if you want a waterproof tiling installation then grout using an epoxy as these are impervious.

paul riley

website url removed, these can be shown in your profile

think your wrong, it may say waterproof but read the back of the tub look for the standard it applies to like b.s.5980 type 2 water resistant, they say anything at the front.
let us know what it says on the back.

i worked for B A L for 7 yrs

paul riley

ring technical and ask them about waterproof

I did ring the manufacter last year and they said no grout is 100% waterproof as the average time in the shower is no longer than 15 mins so it dried out. I did forgot to ask them about the swimming pool grout, surely they must be waterproof ?

euro said:
masona said:

Where do you get these from.. sounds like a great idea. I have seen similar in hotel bathrooms etc. Never been able to find 'em anywhere though.
I'm at work at the moment and have the details at home, will post sometime tomorrow.

there is no real need for waterproof in a swimming pool as tiles in a pool is only cosmetic.
a water resistant grout and adhesive is fine in a pool, the pool is or should be water proof in its own right.
its the background we have to protect in showers etc as they are mostly water sensertive.

never be mislead unless you use epoxy its water resistant not proof

paul riley

wall & floor training centre

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back