Flexible gap Polyfilla in interior walls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I am a beginner at home improvement, as you may have already gathered from the title of this post :) I would be grateful for your advice.

There are cracks along the line where the wall meets the ceiling in one of my rooms. I wanted to fix this before painting over. I researched what could cause the cracks and determined that it's probably not a structural problem. So I bought some Polyfilla; and the Flexible Gap type at that. It is recommended for kitchens and bathrooms but the tube also lists plaster, acrylic and masonry as possible applications. Hence I thought it would be ideal to give some flex if the timber in the ceiling continues to expand/contract with changing moisture and temperature conditions.
I looked for the ingredients to make sure it is appropriate but this was not specified on the tube. The shop assistants could not help.

I am now concerned, however, that this stuff cannot be painted over well - it doesn't seem to take to paint as well as the rest of the wall (though it may just be me). Did I get the wrong stuff, or is it ok to use as I intended? If I shouldn't have used this, how can I remove it and what should I use instead?

Thank you in advance for your advice! I promise I won't be opening further threads with dumb questions.

Sponsored Links
If it doesn't say SILICONE then it's OK. All you really needed was a tube of cheap calk and a calking gun. Acrylic will be OK. See what it says on the tube. It usually says 'overpaintable'.

Thank you for the quick and helpful reply!

I had twigged that silicone vs. acrylic would make a difference. Unfortunately there is no mention of ingredients on the packaging :rolleyes: and I couldn't find more info on the internet either. It does not say anything about being overpaintable.

I'll call the company after the bank holiday is over... guess I'll just wait with the rest of the crack until then, and try to scrape this off if I got the wrong thing.

Sponsored Links
what is the exact product name on the tube?

It doesn't smell like vinegar to me - maybe there is hope!

The exact product name is Polycell Flexible Gap Polyfilla.

:eek: I even visited that page and didn't see point 8! Thank you for lending me a pair of eyes.

Just wanted to report back - it worked great! Thank you for all the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back