Flexible pipes and push-fit pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to put a radiator in a conservatory and have a couple questions regarding fittings:

1. Generally speaking can I use pvc push-fit fittings and pipes? (are there any of the various brands/types I should or should not use?)

2. I have a nasty bend which my copper pipe bending skills would not be good enough for! Can I use the copper flexible pipes/ sticks

Sponsored Links
Pipe is not your main problem.

Radiators should not be fitted in conservatories really.

If you're going to then you need to install a means of isolating it from the rest of your system. Ideally it would be a separate zone with its own stat.

On pipes; having considered the above, plastic pipe is fine eg polypipe. As for the bend can you not get round it using fittings? elbows, 45s...

Thanks for the info.

So what is the problem with rads in conservatories? - Got to be the cheapest way to heat it?

The bend is complicated because it has to come back on itself and drop 30mm then a further 90 degree turn. - its a little difficult to explain. Using various bends might work, I'll have to nip into B&Q and try to re-create the layout!

A few things to remember when using plastic pipe in the situation you mention.

Plastic pipe will not stay in a fixed position (like copper) it will want to straighten out unless it's clipped.

Be careful not to bend the pipe too tight as you can kink the pipe and it will need scrapping, the bending radius of Hep2o pipe (PB) is 8 times the pipe dia so a 10mm pipe will have a bending radius of 80mm, 15mm pipe = 120mm and so on.

Other types (PEX) may differ so check the manufacturers web sites.

Also be careful not to have the bend (under tension) rubbing on brickwork etc.

Sponsored Links
SPEED FIT seems to be the best for plastic fittings and are easily removable. Push-fit fittings onto plastic pipe require an insert(sold separately). Push-fit fittings onto copper pipe do not.

SPEED FIT seems to be the best for plastic fittings and are easily removable. Push-fit fittings onto plastic pipe require an insert(sold separately). Push-fit fittings onto copper pipe do not.

Why would you want them to be easily removable ? If you can easily demount them so can inquisitive little fingers.

I can see the advantage of the easy demount if you are rigging a temp supply up, but when you do a installation you don't want people messing with it.

When I do site work I have to pressure test after first fix and get the test witnessed by the site manager. Other trades often demount the tested pipework to drill a hole or install cable tray, when they put it back they might not push it in fully or the insert may fall out.

This is why I use the new Hep2o whenever I can, you can demount it with a tool but its more secure.

Thanks for the info.

So what is the problem with rads in conservatories?

Because heat loss is so high from a conservatory regs don't allow it.

Ideally the conservatory should have its own heat source eg electric heaters.

really you're not supposed to tee off your existing system, at least, as I say use isolation valves and trv's.

Sorry that's a bit of a mixed message. It's the umpteenth time this subject has come up on here... Maybe someone else can clarify it. It's getting late!

Plastic is ugly and unreliable in my experience,it will eventually leak. Copper is always your best bet, it`s a smarter more professional job.Buy flexi copper pipe if you don`t mind paying for it,it`s only short anyways.Don`t buy your materials from the likes of your local DIY store EVER! Go to local builders/plumbing merchants,prices are sometimes 25-30 percent cheaper than DIY ripoff merchants.As for not putting a rad in your conservatory because Regs don`t allow it. Yeah, right.

Plastic is ugly and unreliable in my experience,it will eventually leak.

The world will end eventually!

As for not putting a rad in your conservatory because Regs don`t allow it. Yeah, right.

The basis of this web site is that information is given in good faith and based on any pertinent regulations. For example information is not given regarding questions about gas/combustion on boilers.

It is the case that there are certain considerations regarding installing radiators in conservatories so it is therefore right to inform people of the possibilities when they ask a question regarding it.

Informing people is one thing,telling people is another,since when do you decide on what this site is based upon and what advice should be given?? who do you think you are mate? this is a forum where information is given freely as far as I am concerned.Who the hell are you to keep jumping in on my comments to tell me what you think I should or should not be saying? Go away you obnoxious, self important nobody,I`ll advise how I like. Just found out that you are not even a gas fitter/engineer.You even a plumber?

I'm not telling anyone anything, except that, this site has rules and giving good information and not using personal insult are two of them.

I assume you got your information about me from the same place you get your other dodgy information.

As it happens I am gas registered, not "ticket just expired" actually currently registered - fancy that!

Informing people is one thing,telling people is another,since when do you decide on what this site is based upon and what advice should be given??

because unless the conservatory rad is connected via a zone valve & a room stat then this is against the building regs, you aren't allowed to just connect onto the existing system any longer

Informing people is one thing,telling people is another,since when do you decide on what this site is based upon and what advice should be given??

because unless the conservatory rad is connected via a zone valve & a room stat then this is against the building regs, you aren't allowed to just connect onto the existing system any longer

...because it breaches the exemption conditions for conservatories meaning that pp should be obtained.

Anyway CBF you can't just go saying things like that, littlejohnwayne2 might think you were telling him something!! :rolleyes:

Anyway CBF you can't just go saying things like that, littlejohnwayne2 might think you were telling him something!! :rolleyes:

Oh dear I hope he doesn't get upset & make me call him a ******** (cheers DM)

Why would you want them to be easily removable ? If you can easily demount them so can inquisitive little fingers.

I can see the advantage of the easy demount if you are rigging a temp supply up, but when you do a installation you don't want people messing with it.

When I do site work I have to pressure test after first fix and get the test witnessed by the site manager. Other trades often demount the tested pipework to drill a hole or install cable tray, when they put it back they might not push it in fully or the insert may fall out.

This is why I use the new Hep2o whenever I can, you can demount it with a tool but its more secure.

It was really meant for the person installing. If a mistake is made, they can be easily undone. Other makes that use a removal tool are a bit awkward to demount. There are collets available which slot onto Speed-fit fittings which prevents accidental removal or indeed prying little fingers. Also, if the system is under pressure, you would be hard pressed to remove a fitting. I was just expressing a preference really. I have used all sorts of plastic fittings and find Speed-fit the easiest to use and so far hav'nt had any leaks with them.
Having said that, if I was installing a rad, I would use copper with soldered fittings

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back