Float and set or dot and dab?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
So I”m renovating my brothers house, built in 1901. It has double skin brick wall, no cavity.
I’ve been told NOT to dot’n’dab plasterboard as the moisture could travel through the bricks, through the board adhesive and into the plastered walls(?).
However, about 12 yeas ago he had the exterior of the house coated in some stuff from protectacoat. Having done a search in these forums and google it seems the company were less than well received by many.
That said, the product still seems in good condition. If so could dot’n’dab now be feasible as the outside is protected?
One wall that I have to do has been stripped back to the bricks, but it’s 2” out of plumb at the bottom. Filling 2” with hardwall could take a while.
Sadly most of the walls need stripping back to brick as the plaster is turning to sand. Plus they’ve been wallpapered so taking that off will half destroy the wall anyway.
There are 2 internal lathe and plaster walls where I’ve managed to board over 9.5mm using screws and foam adhesive.
But the internal sides of the exterior walls I need advice on.
So, please.....advise me.

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't you fix battens to the wall, packed as required, with polythene behind packers, and screw your plasterboard to the battens? You would probably need a polythene membrane behind the plasterboard too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back