dot 'n' dab

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I need to dot'n'dab two walls in the living room, and a mate said that I need plasterboard adhesive to stick the plasterboard to the walls.

Thought I'd try and grab some ready mixed pots of the stuff in B&Q last night but all I could find was ready mixed plaster, nothing specifically for dot'n'dabbing plasterboard to walls? Where can I get it from?

Also, if I'm dot'n'dabbing onto existing painted plaster (I'm creating a small cavity wall through which to run cables and central heating pipework) do I need to key the surface before applying the adhesive?

I'm worried that all it will be adhering to is the paint on the existing plastered walls.

Thanks in advance, PHil

Sponsored Links
mix the adhesive its the only way. use dry wall adhesive.
dot and dab on painted walls? my skills are limited but i wouldnt have thought that would be a good idea.. but if your gonna do it youd be better pva-ing the wall 5-1.
alternatively screw some battons on to the wall and screw the boards on??

Hi Phil,
Would I dot and dab plasterboard using drywall adhesive onto a painted wall,with just a watered down pva mix applied to the wall first as a bonding agent? No chance.You would only have to sneeze or knock against it for it to come loose.On a brick wall,blocks, unpainted render,anything with a with a bit of a surface, no problem,but definitely not in this particular case.There are some good adhesives out there in tubes that would do a much better job,and would guarantee you a permanent job."Gripfill" "No More Nails" "Uni Bond Mega Grip" "Sticks Like Sh*t",(yes this really is a top quality product)just to name a few.Some are a bit pricey but they work.A lot of joiners and carpenters use these products to fix wet-wall in kitchens and bathrooms etc.I would advise you use a similar product,or as was mentioned in the above post,strap the wall/walls,and screw the plasterboardboard in place.After fixing,just tape joints and/or skim.

Roughcaster.

Sponsored Links
If I take all the old plaster off exposing the brickwork underneath, do I need to prepare the wall with anything before I apply the dry-wall adhesive? (I'm thinking PVA or similar..?)

Also, if I wanted to creating a 12.5mm cavity, would I be better off cutting a few strips of plaster baord and stickng those to the wall before I apply the main plasterboard, or can I create the cavity by simply using a larger amount of adhesive?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back