floating floor and DPM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I intend to lay a new solid oak floor floating it on a combi underlay - I believe removing the skirting will provide the neatest finish but as the underlay needs to go up the wall by a couple of inches this will stop me glueing the skirting board back in place and I'll have to nail it - the nails could go through the DPM will this be a problem when the floor moves and how can I get round it??

Sponsored Links
davandor said:
...the nails could go through the DPM will this be a problem when the floor moves and how can I get round it??
Why is there a DPM on the wall, behind the skirting? :confused: :eek:

The combi-underlayment doesn't have to go that far up the wall. (Softus, if you install the combi underlayment just on the floor, the movement could cause it to 'slip' from the wall leaving the wood still exposed to the concrete, hence the tip to lay a bit against the wall).

Every wall should have a deeper recess before the plaster begins anyway. The skirting is glued to the plaster, not in the recess. Just make sure the combi-underlayment covers most of that recess area.

Thanks WYL. I was duped by the term 'DPM' into thinking that this was the membrane that should be at DPC height, not the one that goes directly beneath the floating floor.

Sorry. :oops:

Sponsored Links
thanks guys - following your instructions I'll be able to glue after all much easier all round cheers for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back