Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I want to create a floating floor as follows

18mm P5 T&G
25mm PIR
1200 gauge DPM
Original garage floor

Challenge is, the existing floor is tamped so not even. I’m assuming I would need to level it with self levelling compound before I start or would the PIR absorb any bumps in the concrete?

also, would you put the floating floor down first and build the studs (boarding the walls) off this or build the wall studs first?

thanks

Attachments

• 6560175E-0A06-4958-B345-1A77A3686432.jpeg
    6560175E-0A06-4958-B345-1A77A3686432.jpeg
    112.9 KB · Views: 170
Sponsored Links
I don't think the PIR would have problems with the rough tamped surface, but I'd say that it will probably conform too readily to any crowning or dipping in the sub-floor, so without actually seeing the floor first hand I'd probably opt to level the sub-floor first. An uneven PIR surface might give you some problems getting tight glued joints in the P5 chipboard

I'd opt to build the studwork off the original sub-floor after levelling and laying the DPM because the concrete will give you something substantial to anchor the sole plates to. Better installed after the DPM has gone in to minimise any tendency for the timber to wick up moisture from the sub-floor. Also means that if you subsequently hang something heavy on the walls, such as book shelves, etc the load will transfer into the floor

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back