floating floor

djd

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am planning on installing a floating floor over solid base,the slab was put down years ago with no insulation,my plan is to put 50mm kingspan onto floor between batons@600 centres then lay engineered wood flooring across.my question is how do i get all the batons level and is this very important for this type of floor any advice much appreciated, david.

Sponsored Links
Self levelling compound from Wikes will normally do the job.

Straight on to the solid floor to level it.

New DPM on the "new" floor then the timbers and insulation on the DPM.

You will be messing about forever tying to level a floor perfectly with self-leveller, and then levelling each individual timber off the floor - as they will all be of slightly different thickness

The easiest way is to form a frame around the perimeter and then span the timbers across and then wedge at 1/2 or 1/3 span to remove any bounce

• Thanks
Reactions: djd
Is there any chance of thee timber rotting due to moisture from the concrete, or is the moisture so small that it wouldn't cause a problem?

Not hijacking the thread, just interested meself, as I've a similar issue in our kitchen. :)

Sponsored Links
You will be messing about forever tying to level a floor perfectly with self-leveller, and then levelling each individual timber off the floor - as they will all be of slightly different thickness

The easiest way is to form a frame around the perimeter and then span the timbers across and then wedge at 1/2 or 1/3 span to remove any bounce

Good answer Woody,

Might it not be reasonable to ask about how high the new floor is?
as if its not too high then the a frame idea might not work.

Or what if .... just level the floor, lay the DPM, lay the insulation boards and then lay the chipboard (cross bonded) with all joints glued?

You'd need to make sure the insulation boards are flat though.

This will do away with the timber and then be a proper floating floor

Is there any chance of thee timber rotting due to moisture from the concrete, or is the moisture so small that it wouldn't cause a problem?

Not hijacking the thread, just interested meself, as I've a similar issue in our kitchen. :)

Not if a DPM (polythene) is laid on the concrete first

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back