Floating floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Folks,

I intend to convert my integral single garage (approx 16' x 8') into an additional room by knocking through from the existing dining room. I intend to undertake some of the work myself. The area in which I would like some advice on relates to the type of flooring to install.

As mentioned the garage is intergral to the house with a bedroom above it, all the walls are all cavity and insulated. the garage floor is concrete and in good condition, the house is twenty years old. I was considering a suspended floor using 4 x 2 treated batons on 16" centres to bring the garage floor up to the level of the floor in the house (going to knock through from the existing dining room). If I were to go this way do I need to take anything else into consideration, would i need to lay a damp course below the batons, insulation between the batons? what type to go for etc.

Would there be any benefits or disadvantages and costings if I were to go for a screeded floor ( I would imagine I would need a professional to install this method??)

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, David

Sponsored Links
You may need to ventilate the void should you go for a suspended floor. Some b.c.o's may accept you fully filling the void with celotex, as a way of avoiding venting but certainly not all.

We always err towards a solid floor (concrete or screed) simply because it affords the homeowner a greater freedom of choice regards finished floor covering.

If the difference between floors is great enough then you could lay insulation boards down first then screed. You would need at least 100mm of thickness to achieve this.

Thanks noseall, is this a job for professionals only or is it suitable for a DIYer?

What sort of contractor should I look for, i.e general builder? or are there specilaist contractors for such jobs?. As I intend to have the garage installed with windows at both ends getting a large amount of concrete in may be a problem. Can it be pumped through an open window?

Assuming everything else is sound what sort of costings would I expect to pay for a floor space 16' x 8' x 4". Just something to give me an idea of what to budget for, I won't hold you to it.

Cheers mate

David

A local general builder (one that is familiar with b'reg's) could do it in his sleep.

With garage conversions we try and complete a lot of the bulky work prior to bricking up the garage door.

You could say dig the foundations for the frontage, build up to dpc then install all the flooring. This will mean having to do the knock through, or at least knock out the lower courses so that the floor screed can marry into the existing house screed.

The hole can be temporarily boarded over.

We also haul in any 8' x 4' plasterboards prior to bricking up.

Sponsored Links
Thanks mate, lots to think about there, although I may still look into the version I originally considered (should it be permitted ) as I can do all of the work myself without having to worry about the security vulnerabilities when the walls are open and boarded.

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back