Floating floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
To cut a long story shortish.

There was a flood which ruin the kitchen floor in 2009.
It took two years for the insurance company to settle.
The 'master builder' that I got in (stupidly) to repair the floor was also a friend. He lifted up the kitchen floor which was made of blown non moisture resistant chipboard and then the subfloor it was resting on, this seemed to be mostly polystyrene blocks (which would explain why it also flexed a lot) and then underneath that a mixture of lengths of concrete bars and breeze blocks.

Is this what they call a floating floor?

Ever since this builder finished the work early 2013, there was definitely a difference in temperature across the whole house and there was no reason for it to be stupidly cold. Well as it turned out, he was also a habitual drug user and kept spending the money we gave him on various drugs rather than finish our house, the more he worked on the house the worse his workmanship got I eventually kicked him out and lifted up the poorly laid tiles in the kitchen and put down laminate flooring and rebuilt the kitchen myself.
After the work was done we noticed our fuel bills were up in winter almost double what they were the year before. I was convinced something was not right with what the builder did. Though it was hard to prove it as the work was done and our kitchen was back in place over the new floor.

Flash forward to a month ago. I accidentally flooded the kitchen, though it only ruined four strips of the laminate floor, they were in an area where it had to be major upheaval of the kitchen. So I went to work taking apart the kitchen. I also while I was there I thought I'd take a look at where the howling gale and coldness was ebbing from in the kitchen.

As you may have guessed by now, the damp course had been removed by the builder and he has also removed the polystyrene blocks and replaced it with a lattice of 2x4 wood. The howling gale is from the services hole which is huge and nearly all of the breeze blocks also seemed to ebb cold draught from the seams of the gaps.

My plan, find builder and shoot him, though he maybe already dead from the drugs.

Then after that reinstall the damp proof course where is appears it's supposed to be which is above the polystyrene (which I'll have to replace) and below the chipboard (which I'll replace with marine ply)

I have noticed that in other areas of heavy traffic there are significant flexy areas in the floor which says to me the whole ground floor is made up of polystyrene with chipboard over the top.

How can I fix that?

Or is it a case of lifting everything up and replacing it with batons and putting insulation in-between the batons and then laying a damp course over the top of that and then putting a strong ply floor down everywhere?

Apologies for the long post.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back