FLOATING OR GLUE TO CONCRETE FLOOR???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I AM ABOUT TO LEVEL MY CONCRETE FLOOR IN PREPERATION TO LAY SOLID WOOD FLOORING BUT AM UNSURE WHAT THE BEST METHOD IS.

I HAVE HAD A FRIEND SAY THAT IT WOULD BE BEST TO GLUE STRAIGHT TO THE FLOOR, AND HAVE HAD A JOINER ROUND WHO HAS SAID IT WOULD BE BEST TO LAY UNDERLAY AND THEN HAVE A FLOATING FLOOR.

CAN ANYONE ENLIGHTEN ME IN WHICH IS THE BEST METHOD?

ALSO IF GLUING TO THE FLOOR DO I NEED TO APPLY A DPM? THE HOUSE IS OLD ABOUT 150YRS.

THANKS IN ADVANCE.

please stop SHOUTING see forum rule 6

Sponsored Links
If your floor is level glueing is fine (as long as the concrete/screed is dry and doesn't 'dust'). If not, best option is to install floating using a DPM layer and sound-insulation.
With glueing the adhesive must connect with 80% of every board and you can't use adhesive as leveling material!
p.s. stop shouting = don't hit the CAPS LOCK

Thanks for the quick reply an di will try and keep my voice down.. The floor is currently extremely uneven probably about 40-50mm out in various places.

Is this ok to apply a large amount of leveling compound or am i best to take the concrete down?

Sorry for all the questions, first house and am abit new to this.

Sponsored Links
Leveling compound only 'filles' so much and you then have to make several layers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back