floating real wood floor

That's up to you. We don't use strappers, but then we install flooring all days so are used to treating things with due care.

Sponsored Links
I got the floor down, went for 3mm dpm then laid boards directly on top.
Problems encountered with laying though
1: the boards are far from perfect with a small error of a few mm in board widths (158mm > 162mm) is this normal?
2: the error in board widths meant that i couldn't get a tight fit between boards so therefore had to use tension straps after all.

wood wizard said:
I got the floor down, went for 3mm dpm then laid boards directly on top.
Problems encountered with laying though
1: the boards are far from perfect with a small error of a few mm in board widths (158mm > 162mm) is this normal?
No, not at all! How long are the boards? 4mm difference on 160mm wide boards doesn't sound like quality to me. The supplier can't blame it on not sufficiently acclimatising, you've left it for a week in the house, didn't you?

the boards range from 500mm to 1500mm long, they were clearly half price for a reason then...
i honestly expected the flooring to go down alot easier and would not recommend this flooring to anyone, tension straps are my saviour. unfortunately i still have the hallway to do, should be alot easier now i know what to expect.
i am not going to go back to the supplier because i was able to lay it and it looks really good, i'll just learn never to use them again and to bad mouth them to anyone and everyone.
and yes i did have the boards in the living room for a week before laying.
thanks for all your help and advice, i'll recommend you to anyone i know that needs flooring advice.
garry

Sponsored Links
wood wizard said:
the boards range from 500mm to 1500mm long, they were clearly half price for a reason then...
Always be wary if short lengths are offered (if you're able to find out in time before buying). Mostly are 'left-overs' from different batches.
Normal quality flooring can come in various lenghts but should contain also much, longer lengths and a proper mix between shorter and longer ones.

As we say: quality comes at a price, but saves you in the long run (time, frustration etc ;))

Hi wood wizard where di you get your flooring from.
I have just brought some quality flooring £62 per sq m and have laid a couple of bits together and there is also a gap of a couple of mm at one end. I am now worried lol :LOL:
Wood you like whats your site address please.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back