Tile over Real wood subfloor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Need a bit of advice :)
I have a large room in my new house which we are turning into the kitchen.
It has wet UFH, and a real wood floor (which we aren't keeping) which is 20mm boards floating on batton which looks to be set into the concrete (see pic)

The wood floor has been there for 18 years or so.

The usual advice I have found online is to take up the wood floor, lay down 20mm ply and then tile on top.

Looking at the cost of ply I was wondering if there were other options such as:

1) screw down the real wood floor, lay Ditra or fermacell over the top and tile on that.
2) Lay thin ply over the real wood floor?

any ideas or advice would be much appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_1489.jpg
    IMG_1489.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1490.jpg
    IMG_1490.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_1491.jpg
    IMG_1491.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 109
Sponsored Links
how about remove all wood and tile direct onto the concrete, or use a levelling screed if it's a bit rough? I assume the floor is insulated underneath?

ah thanks jonbey, reminds me I forgot to add, we need to raise this floor at least 25mm from the concrete base to match the subfloor floor in the adjacent room which we are knocking through and have consistent flooring... I believe the latex would be very expensive to that height.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back