Floating Shelves - Best Fixings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

just wanting some advice on some fixings for floating shelves. They will only be carrying decorative items up to about 8kg in weight. There will be 3 shelves either side of the chimney breast.

One side of chimney breast is 110cm and the other 102cm. I was thinking of going down the mdf route and painting, we had a family friend that has done basically what we want and thats what they used however the joiner has gone abroad so can't contact him to see how he fixed it.

Shelf depth will be about 36.5cm each side.

I came across these but wondering if they would be deep enough and suitable enough to hold the weight: https://www.sdslondon.co.uk/floatin...wall-fixing-length-120-mm-diameter-12-mm.html

Any advice, help or just general ramblings is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I have used those fixings and would not do so again. They 'feature' an eccentric threaded part that allows you adjust the height and lateral position of the fixing. A good idea in principle esp' if you are wanting the holes in your shelving to snugly fit the bars- if not snug then even with the bars level, the shelves can tip over slightly- not level. However the above adjusting is achieved by tightening or loosening off the bar, which seemed for me, to make them over tight -stripping plugs- or too loose and sagging. Best make a timber bracket instead- imo

I put wooden battens on the walls and chimney breast, then one on the front to build a frame strengthened with wooden noggins. I put 3/8" ply on top (MDF would also work well), with thin ply on the bottom. I simply used a strip of timber on the front to finish and painted in primer and white paint.

Very strong; will take the weight of anything you'd generally put on an alcove shelf!

If they are going in an alcove no special fixings are required as a concealed fix is very easy in an alcove.

Sponsored Links
I put wooden battens on the walls and chimney breast, then one on the front to build a frame strengthened with wooden noggins. I put 3/8" ply on top (MDF would also work well), with thin ply on the bottom. I simply used a strip of timber on the front to finish and painted in primer and white paint.

Very strong; will take the weight of anything you'd generally put on an alcove shelf!

Good idea!.

This is how our shelves were made. They look fine and are nice and strong and just need painting. Here are some pics.

Attachments

• 20170220_195627.jpg
    20170220_195627.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 147
  • 20170222_002002.jpg
    20170222_002002.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 141
  • 20170223_231830.jpg
    20170223_231830.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 153
This is how our shelves were made. They look fine and are nice and strong and just need painting. Here are some pics.

Exactly how I did mine! I've got an early '80s Technics amp, turntable, cassette deck and EQ on mine and they're still standing. Accomplished!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back