Flooded trenches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Dug out footings a few weeks ago for a new retaining wall in the garden. Just before we were going to pour concrete it rained constantly and since it’s been full of 4” of water.

I’ve Pumped the water out and walking in trenches it’s soft, like walking in wet concrete. Any advice of what to do, wanted to get concrete poured. Ground is clay

thanks in advance for any info

Sponsored Links
I have only come across this incidentally, but the practice was (on the day concrete is to be poured)

pump it out

scrape out the soft mud from the bottom of the trench

pour a drylean mix into the trench and compact, to absorb remaining moisture and give a clean bottom

Pour the main mix.

Sponsored Links
I have only come across this incidentally, but the practice was (on the day concrete is to be poured)

pump it out

scrape out the soft mud from the bottom of the trench

pour a drylean mix into the trench and compact, to absorb remaining moisture and give a clean bottom

Pour the main mix.
Thats how I would deal with it if I was inspecting it.

it's the standard instruction on the plans for substations.

I followed it when replacing a leaking drain.

Hi all

is it worth putting rebar in the footings or prefab cages?
Not normally unless you are bridging over soft spots, capped of wells,changes in sub soils (ie changes from clay to sand) etc. I used to work in an area where there were abandoned mine workings and it was used very extensively.

Not normally unless you are bridging over soft spots, capped of wells,changes in sub soils (ie changes from clay to sand) etc. I used to work in an area where there were abandoned mine workings and it was used very extensively.
It was all hard until Undisturbed clay until the rain we had and trenches sat in 4” of water

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back