Floor creeks after wall instal

Reaction score
Country
United States
i just installed a wall in my basement and now the main level floor creeks. Will this settle and stop creeping? If not, how can I fix it without tearing down the wall just to shave 1/16th of an inch and put it back up.

Sponsored Links
please specify what type of wall installed and what floor you have so we can some advice
pictures may be even better

Thanks for your response Sajeel. It's a common studded wall. 2X4 top, bottom and studs 16" apart. The wall is also anchored to the cement floor with anchor nails and to the trusses with nails. The main level floor is common plywood/chipboard flooring.

Attachments

• IMG_5162.JPG
    IMG_5162.JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_5171.JPG
    IMG_5171.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 84
thanks for pics what plywood thickness did you use ? and did you put staggered nogs ? The creak is due to movement so you need to locate and secure by either adding more nogs using thicker ply or more screws you could also another thin sheet of ply on top of current floor with longer screws to secure to floor.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the info and suggestions Sajeel. I'm not in a position where I can make those changes to the floor. But when I get new carpet I'll certainly take your suggestions into consideration! Thanks again!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back