Floor drain connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I desperately want to fit a floor drain into a downstairs toilet while renovating it. need to persuade the (new) wife that it won't take long or cost much. Hoping I can get some opinions on the best way to do it. It's a ground floor toilet on concrete slab

Currently, I think the easiest way will be to connect a new floor drain + trap combo (shown red) into the existing soil pipe.

Was planning to dig down to expose enough of the soil pipe to fit a clay to PVC adapter, then a boss to accept a 40mm pipe (blue) and bring the soil to the toilet in PVC.

Back fill hole with gravel, screed and then tile.

Where, if anywhere, might this fall foul of regs / common sense?

Cheers,
Fubar.

full

Sponsored Links
What about using a McAlpine WC-BP1 for the connection and I presume you will fit a waste trap under the floor.

Bear in mind that if the trap shown should block then it's "jobbies" up the floor drain.

Wouldn't that need to be fitted flush with the floor, and if so, I doubt I would get a good fall with the 40mm. Distance to drain would be about 600mm and I was going to use a combined drain and trap. Something like this:
http://www.bhs-homeimprovements.com/product/shower-gully-stainless-tiled-floor/

Though if there is a cheaper option, then awsome. Don't think I'll be able to get more than another £50-£60 budget extension for the whole job.

Sponsored Links
I might be able to tie into a grey water waste in the corner of the room, but there is a rodding point in the floor I would need to remove and replace.

Did think about the block and backup issue. It's not too bad as the toilet is the only thing on it, so should be a very immediate problem. Could always put a NRV in. I think I have one around, but it's a compression style one, can these be buried in slab?

Hepvo type might be a better option as even a conventional trap will backflow and an NRV will need a fair amount of "head" before it opens to pass flow if it's spring operated. But once it's buried, it's buried !

So, fit a hepvo instead of having a trap. Plus sorts backflow issue? Could get away with a very low profile solution then

Looking into embedding plumbing in screed. I know its a no no for supply pipes, especially with compression joints. How would the hepvo do burried? BR say anything about it?

"Where, if anywhere, might this fall foul of regs / common sense?"

Mutually exclusive terms there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back