Floor Drain without trap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am putting a gravity drain washing machine in a utility room. The 4 inch floor drain has no trap and appears to be just a bend. I would rather not dig up the floor to install a P Trap, so was wondering if there would there be any issue with smells or anything if I just fitted a blank end to the drain and then drilled a hole the same diameter as the washing machine hose and sealed it into the drain. The drain facilitates the washing machine and a sink and no toilets or anything.

Any advice greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
I'm not quite understanding the current set up. Is the floor drain open at the moment, a horizontal drain level with the tiles that can drain water from the floor, for example. If this is open at the moment and you are not suffering from any bad smells I would be very suprised. If this is true and you want to just add the washing machine to the mix then you should be fine.

If the drain is a 110mm pipe which is sealed and you are proposing to drill (for the washing m/c) then that might open the drain to the air and create an odour problem. It shouldn't be too much work to use hard grey pipe with an inline trap against the wall on a couple of brackets before going into your existing 110 pipe. This can be hidden behind the machine and will provide the right protection and then you just drop the flexible outlet of the m/c down the open end of the tube.

Not sure if this helps, as I am beginning to think that i didn't fully understadn the setup you have,

Thank you for your reply,

The current set up is just how you describe at the end of your reply. Hose down a waste pipe with trap fixed to the wall which then goes down the 110 pipe via a plug which has a screw connector on the top. However with the new machine being gravity drain I cant have the flexible outlet higher than the bottom of the machine. As I propose to seal the new machines hose in the drain at floor level, I assume it would not be open to the air. But was just wondering if a trap is essential?

Hi Just to add, the top of the drain is like the picture below at the moment. So could I put the drain outlet directly down this without a trap. Obviously if the hose is smaller I was proposing another plug without a connector on and drilling a hole the appropriate size and sealing it in

Sponsored Links
You could place the washing machine outlet into this sort of trap

http://www.screwfix.com/p/washing-machine-trap-40mm/18640

then, as you suggest, extend this to finally pass the pipe through a drilled blank end fitted over the 110mm waste.
But as I said previously, as it is a gravity outlet on the washing machine, , the end of the outlet pipe must not be higher than where it comes out the machine. To put the drain in that trap it would be way higher. Am I right in starting to think I have to dig up the floor and install a 110 P Trap?

You could place the washing machine outlet into this sort of trap

http://www.screwfix.com/p/washing-machine-trap-40mm/18640

then, as you suggest, extend this to finally pass the pipe through a drilled blank end fitted over the 110mm waste.
But as I said previously, as it is a gravity outlet on the washing machine, , the end of the outlet pipe must not be higher than where it comes out the machine. To put the drain in that trap it would be way higher. Am I right in starting to think I have to dig up the floor and install a 110 P Trap?

What make is the washing machine? Never seen a gravity drain washing machine before.

All washing machine drain hose has to goes up to just below the top of machine then loop over to into stand pipe or connect to sink trap with nozzle. This is the normal standard.

Daniel.

I've not seen one either. Is there any way of raising the machine a few inches. If so I would elbow straight out of the floor with a street elbow aka a male and female elbow to keep it as low down as poss and fit a hepvo waterless trap horizontally with a spigot on the end for the hose so it's sealed.
If you knew the situation why did you not buy a normal pumped one. You've made more trouble than it's worth to save a few quid.

What make is the washing machine? Never seen a gravity drain washing machine before.

All washing machine drain hose has to goes up to just below the top of machine then loop over to into stand pipe or connect to sink trap with nozzle. This is the normal standard.

Daniel.
It is a whirlpool and is a semi commercial one. Should have said it is in a commercial situation. Was trying to find out if I would get away without the trap by sealing the pipe into the blank or bite the bullet and dig up the floor to install the 110 P Trap

In that case I take back the dig about saving a few quid. The hepvo fitted horizontally would work but will raise the waste connection for the hose by an inch maybe two.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back