Floor Drain

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
I am putting in a new bathroom in my house in Croatia. I have fitted a larger bathtub which partially covers the floor drain. I need to either move the floor drain trap or do away with it completely. I would prefer to manage without it as it is not a wetroom bathroom so the water in the trap evaporates out. Is it safe to remove this trap or does it perform some secondary function? I have never understood why houses in mainland Europe don't have a stench pipe or vent stack. Is there some other means of venting they use to avoid airlocks?

Sponsored Links
It sounds like the trap and its drain have become redundant - if so, you can remove them from the bathroom, and hopefully from the building.
If the redundant drain pipe is embedded in a solid floor then it should be packed with semi-dry sand and cement or concrete.
How far back you can fill the drain depends on how much access you have but, if possible, you should fill back to any manhole .
Or remove the trap and pack the pipe for an arm's length, and pack in the same at any manhole.
This prevents rats from using the empty drain.

Be certain that the drain isn't being used by any other fixtures.

I would use a piece of tile stuck on top of floor drain grate with silicone to seal them, in case you need to clear block drain nearby.

Daniel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back