Floor fire resistance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone explain the modified 30 minute standard of fire protection?

I know it applies to one storey conversions, no more than 2 habitable rooms and/or a total area not exceeding 50m squared.

How does it differ from the standard 30 min protection?

Martin

Sponsored Links
um. um. um. um. you know what... you have got me on this one! i didn't know about this on flooring. When you state floor do you mean floor covering? Are you on about doors? Dont know about that either so any advice will help! anyone ...please....

Sponsored Links
I'm relating this to loft conversions and the fire resistance of the new floor and/or wall partitions.

In some cases a modified 30 minute standard is used. I think its something to do with the structure being able to resist the standard 30 minute test, but concessions made for various insulation materials etc....

Just wondered what the Pro's stance of this matter was, as I'm a bit confused!!!!

Martin

I would suggest it's quite important that you get it right, so I'd say (again) that you contact the Building Control Office rather than go off what someone said on a forum.

I'm not sure what your getting at, but in an loft conv the floor/ ceiling of new has to be 1/2 fire proof which by regs is either up-grade exsisting ceilings with 1/2" plaster board and skim ( thats if the ceilings are laths/plaster ) or if the ceilings are L/P you can/have to chicken wire the exsisting ceiling joists/rafters to form a basket then put fire proof slabs of insluation ( used to be called RW2 rock-wool slabs ) now 33 something. in between ceiling joists, some are happy with just doing the eves only and useing the chicken wire on the new floor joists as long as you do the eves and under the steel/trimmers what ever the case maybe.

But thats up here so it's best to ask your B.C.D, like gcol said because it diff from one place to the nexted so it seems ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back