fire door regulations for loft conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a loft that was built into the house in the 1980's but only had access via loft ladders. I assume they wanted to convert it fully later. I want to put stairs in and bring it up to modern building regs. my question is with fire doors. If I put stairs in and have a landing at the top with 2 fire doors going to each room. Does that mean I do not need fire doors on the 2 floors below. I am getting mixed info from different people I talk to who already have loft conversions. Someone told me that you need fire doors on all habitable rooms regardless of what you have in the loft.

Sponsored Links
You will need fire doors on every habitable room, with a smoke alarm in the loft.

or fire alarms in all habitable rooms throughout the house and a heat detector in the kitchen and a fire door on the habitable room in the loft.

Many thanks for the info xr4xr. Can you give me an idea of the cost of an electrician for fitting smoke detectors and heat sensors around the house. Just ball park, so I have some idea when I get quotes.

Sponsored Links
or fire alarms in all habitable rooms throughout the house and a heat detector in the kitchen and a fire door on the habitable room in the loft.

Out of interest, is that actually specified anywhere in AD B or is it a 'fire engineering' solution?

Our B/C body has always insisted on fire doors throughout, though it would be useful to have an officially accepted alternative which they could not dispute.

During a loft conversion I was involved in architect designed replacing all doors with fire doors.

House already had interconnected alarms in hall and landing.

we decided that would be too costly to replace perfectly good doors and asked the BC officer if We could fit all habitable rooms with interconnected fire alarms and a fire door on the room to the loft room.

He agreed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back