Loft extension fire door QUESTION

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello can some one give some advice I'm converting loft and two comply with BR doors from the loft have to be fire rated . My Question all the doors in the house or just the one on first floor landing from loft and is it possible to paint doors with intumescent paint to have the fire rated as the paint info suggest?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Only a DIY'er, so feel free to wait for more opinions, but my reading of the regs is:
My Question all the doors in the house or just the one on first floor landing from loft
All the doors on the protected escape route should be fire doors.
Although sprinkler systems etc. can be used to mitigate risk if your stairs end in an open plan area.
is it possible to paint doors with intumescent paint to have the fire rated as the paint info suggest?
It may be possible to paint them - speak to your BC officer.
However, this might only be considered worth while, if your current doors have architectural merit.

Speak to building control.

When we did our loft conversion they wanted all doors except the bathrooms to be fire doors.

Sponsored Links
Speak to building control.

When we did our loft conversion they wanted all doors except the bathrooms to be fire doors.
Yes, you're right. I should have said all the doors to 'habitable rooms' on the escape route should be fire doors!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back