Loft conversion and door closures

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I understand that due to the loft being converted that smoke / fire detection has to be installed and that the primary access door to the loft must be fire rated.

In addition the local BC has told me to provide door closures to all 'main' door throughout the house.

Main doors are all bedroom and ground floor internal doors, the bathroom door doesn't require a closure.

Now the house is 110 years old, the doors are all original and all are a bit wonky (part due to original joinery, part due to being dip stripped of paint and the subsequent warping when drying out).

Putting full close, door closures will be a PITA (pain in the ...) due to factors already mentioned and use of rising butt hinges on all grd flr doors.

Is there anyway around the BC's request for closures throughout. Is this a normal BC spec nationally.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Get the ones which fit inside the door (hinge side) and when he has signed off the work you can disconnect them if you choose.

Last extension I built needed a fire door between the kitchen and garage - BCO told me he wasn't bothered if I didn't fit the required door closer because he knew it would be disconnected after his last visit!

So it's a national standard then?

All doors to living areas or bedrooms must have door closures, even though none will be fire rated.

Stupid.................. Rant, and more rant :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back