fire doors in loft conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

could anyone out there advise me on the minimum sizes of fire doors in a loft conversion
i am looking at a door of 1981x610 mm due height resritions on stairs /landing
also do i ahve to fit a special frames ,BC has advised yhat no seals are nessesary

any advise welcome

cheers

Sponsored Links
i am looking at a door of 1981x610 mm due height resritions on stairs /landing
also do i ahve to fit a special frames ,BC has advised yhat no seals are nessesary

You can get fire doors manufactured in that size (1981mm x 610mm) but it's not a common size so you would probably have to get it ordered in - not a problem you would just have to wait for it. There is no point fitting a fire door to a standard frame. It must go in a fire door frame that has intumescent strips fitted, so I don't see the logic in what your BC has told you unless he is suggesting you do not need a fire door at all.

hth

1981x610 is a standard size and doors are available off the shelf, but you'll find them a lot more expensive than 1981x762s. That's because 762s are the most widely used and manufacturers make millions of them. 610s are usually used on bathrooms and WCs.

Problem with using 610s for room doors is you will struggle to get normal furniture through them. You must use intumescent strips but not smoke seals. The strips can be in the door lining or the door. Also make sure your hinge is fire rated and you should really fit a strip of intumescent beneath the hinge but most BCOs don't check.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back