Bungalow Loft Conversion (UK) - Fire Proof Flooring/Doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i live in n. ireland (uk).

i'm looking to buy a bungalow that has a 2 bedroom loft conversion.

the conversion was completed about 12 years ago but was not issued with a building certificate due to the builder not fitting the correct fire window with regards to size & height above the floor in one of the rooms - he did fit another window but messed it up again - i've been shown the letters from building control regarding.

the owner had domestic problems etc that have only now been resolved.

i'm sure the building regs have changed but can anyone please advise as to whether or not fire proof flooring and/or doors would now be required or supply any further advice.

cheers

Sponsored Links
In theory, to get it signed off it would need to comply with the regs that were in place at the time.

And home insurance would require compliance with whatever regulations applied.

As it is, the conversion should not strictly be occupied and is a big risk for insurers and for occupants.

thanks guys - the owner is afraid to contact building control in case they make him do a complete rebuild of the loft under the new regs - he hasn't got the money.

i would buy the house if the old regs still applied - it would only cost me about £300/400 to move the fire window & lintel down 3 coarse to set it to the correct height

not sure how either of us could handle building control regarding?

Sponsored Links
Have it surveyed, and if the bungalow is otherwise sound then just negotiate a deduction based on the cost of the work and then sort it out yourself. Remember there may be building control fees too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back