Floor Joist Layout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
Hoping this is my last post about floor joists for a lifetime and thanks in advance to anyone who has answered previous queries!
Pic attached is my dry run before things get secured down. 400mm spacing has left a few areas where floorboards wont have great support and when I get to the end wall I've had to put couple joists close together to bridge what would have been too big a gap.
If I put noggings in and create like a T at each of the areas where the floor support is questionable (edge of hearth and at recess in wall) is this a good solution - each area of floor would therefore be supported up to the end? And is close spacing of the 2 joists at the end wall acceptable? Dont think i'd get away with 600 spacing, so it's 400 and 200.
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20210902_182142.jpg
    20210902_182142.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 101
Sponsored Links
Gizzydash, good evening.

Using your "T" ideas in both locations, adjacent to the right hand side of the Hearth + on the return to the right of the hearth.

You can use noggins or?? how about joist hangers, three per location??

Ken.

So two extra full length joists at in this case ~150mm centres?

Sponsored Links
So two extra full length joists at in this case ~150mm centres?
When they give these figures for builders they are "nominal" so you have a bit of leeway to shuffle them a bit within reason. If you don't want to add extra try moving the right hand 3 to the left and adding an offcut at the right of the hearth to pick up the floor boarding. Also check your span tables (and it's clear span, not wall to wall) / floorboard thickness as you might have some leeway there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back