Floor joist obstruction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm finally ready to fit my shower tray (see previous thread) but now have a huge problem. The tray arrived today and i marked out where the waste pipe needs to go under the floor. The problem is its right on top of my floor joist. I have no idea how to tackle this at all. Obviously i dont want to hack away at the joist to accomodate the waste pipe. I could relocate the shower as a very last resort or build a box for the tray to stand on as a very very last resort. Any suggestions?

Cheers

Tom

Sponsored Links
Why can't you cut out a section for the shower waste?

that's what i did when i fitted my tray approx 18 mths ago. Because of the fall i needed, the waste could only go in one position, so I ended up cutting out an approx 13 cm chunk out of my floor joist. As long as your not weakening a set of 4 or 5 joists in the same area it's a fairly common thing to do & doesn't compromise your joist structurally, ring a floor joist manufacturer if your still unsure.

The tray is a quadrant tray unfortunately so cant be repositioned in that area.

It looks like a may have to cut away some of the joist. Is there a limit as to how much i can cut away without weakening the floor at all?

Sponsored Links
modern buildings tend to be overengineered and allow for 25mm knock out for pipe runs etc. to acommodate a shower trap you will be removing too much material weakening the joist. definately a no no. raise the tray by a minimum amount, after all you have 25mm plus floor thickness to play with

TBH i havent even bought the trap yet as i was going to wait until i got a rsponse here. I'll have to size it up and see what i have to play with. I have the thickness of the floor boards, plus 6mm ply, tile adhesive and tiles so there may well be enough....

best to use a specific shower trap as these have a detachable insert that can be removed for cleaning purposes, long after the tray has been irreversibly fixed/sealed/tiled in/sealed again!

Thanks again for the help mate.

Well apreciated chaps! I'll wonder around B&Q this weekend and see whats what

You could go lower and drill a hole for the waste thru the 1 joist with a good holesaw :idea: I did @ my last house.used a cheap one and it just made the hole before burning out..but 1 was all I needed

How do you mean Nige? My waste is coming out directly on top of the waste. Do you mean drill a hole on the top side of the joist?

Sorry , Didn`t read original post carefully :oops: BUT there may be an option to limit the distance the waste runs below the tray.......Got it right now :rolleyes: ........You could use a Hep waste valve, with a 90 degree converter elbow .this takes the place of a trap and will not hang down more than a shallow trap would .But give total protection against vaccuum and pressure in the pipework.......They`re stocked @ all good plumbers merchants.Hope this helps ;) Noseall`s idea is probably the best/cheapest.

if your putting in a hole regs says that -

- the hole should not be any larger than 25% of the floor joist depth (e,g 150mm deep joists allow a 37.5mm diameter hole)

-the hole should be drilled through the neutral axis (so if 150mm deep joists the centre point would be at 75mm)

- the hole should be located between 25% - 40% the span of the joist (e,g if you have a 4m span this would be between 1.0m - 1.6m from the support)

- if you need more than one hole they must be spaced at least 3 diameters apart (eg if 25mm dia holes the chunck of timber between them should be 3x25 = 75mm minimum

Notches - they are a hole different story :rolleyes:

from what ive experienced modern floor joists tend to be less over the top than earlier construction

As a last resort: you could cut out the offending section and trim it to the joists on either side!

Patrick

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back