Floor levelling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My wife has a room in the back of her shop that has a sort of rippled finish. Its a concrete floor that was obviously levelled out with a plank of wood which has left lots of little ridges. The ridges are max 10mm deep. Would self levelling compound sort these ridges out or am I looking at having to concrete over them?

The lino fitter is refusing to lay the lino on this surface.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Does the floor have a dpm? has the floor been checked for moisture?

That is the first thing to check, If the floor is good and dry and will not suffer from moisture, a skim of cement followed by a finishing screed is probably required. An alternative could be to skim with a levelling cement and then fit F-Ball isolator if the moisture history is unknown?

Fitting lino/vinyl over it as is, would have left an awful finish and hugely accelerated wear, the fitter was right not to fit imo, you would not have been happy with the finished result

I am very curious as to why your "fitter" has not advised you......

- Any decent fitter will regularly encounter situations like this (to be fair the estimator will normally pick up on the situation first )

However if you have made a private arrangement with a fitter why havent they advised you on how to proceed???

- my point is I would be very nervous of employing any fitter who lacks this basic knowledge!

other than that I totally agree with crazydave

Sponsored Links
I would guess that this is an old warehouse or garage type floor which almost certainly will not have a membrane. Look at www.ardex.co.uk for a product that is suitable to level this floor which must be clean before you start. Then apply a surface paint on dpm which may need another skim of latex leveller.
I agree with the doubts raised about the fitter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back