Floor of shower

R

richard7761

Hi. In the picture you can see where I'm going to place a plywood base for my 700mm x 700mm shower tray.

Note that the plywood would extend beyond the nearest beam by 17Cm. Should I take some steps to address that overhang?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Yes, you can never do too much to the preparation of a shower base. I would fit some noggins between the joists to suit.

The tray instructions show replacing floorboards with a piece of plywood.

Is really necessary to remove the floorboards and replace with a plywood base?

It would be less fuss to just place a plywood base on top of the floorboards and then I would not need extra carpentry, i.e. noggins. Surely.

Cutting those flooboards creates a need for new supports. Leave the floorboards alone, and just put the plywood sheet down - ought to be okay?

Or, put the plywood down covering two joist spaces rather than one and a bit. But, my preference is just to put a plywood base on top of the floorboards. If that is okay, I'd do that.

I assume they are nice thick seasoned pine boards 18mm+? Nope, no need to remove them IMO. Also replace the ones you have lifted if you have them.
Nice thick exterior structural or Marine ply going down? Make sure it's from a reputable supplier and stamped as such, some structural ply isn't exterior therefore water resistant but there's a lot of it that's been marked as such due to the prices difference.

Sponsored Links
The boards are 20mm thick. I presume pinewood, house built in 1958.

That's it then, I'm going to lay the water resistant plywood over these boards. Will save me work.

Have a look at Classi seal for your tray to tile sealing - good luck with the job ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back