floor prep

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

i have a half wood and concrete kitchen floor which we'll be tiling

i'll be plywooding the whole floor, what's best 6mm or thicker?

will be putting down a damp proof sheet before the plywood to protect it on the concrete but whats the best way to secure the plywood down?
can i screw it down or will this make the dps pointless?

thanks for any hints

Sponsored Links
are both subtrates the same height?

you will need to have an "exspansion joint" ..between both the wood and concrete,and transfer this "exspansion joint" up between your tiling as well.

as for a dpm,is there not one already down below the floor?

both are the same level

have started to put 12mm ply down

as for the dpm, more than likely but thanks to the wife's brother in law(who "always knows what he's doing" and gives advice) advised us to do so so the ply doesnt rot....so a damp proof sheet is down but redendered pointless as i'm screwing down the plywood thru this anyway!

Sponsored Links
have started to put 12mm ply down
Hope you used WBP & not ordinary ply? I assume the 12mm ply is overboading the existing timber floor & not straight onto the joists?

yep they're wbp exterior ply.
and yeah they're going over the existing wooden floor

i was originally going to nail them down but shall i continue to screw them to the wood too?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back