Floor Sanding and Skirting Borards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a bit of a dilemma in relation to the order of sanding my old floorboards and putting new skirting boards. The builder is arguing for putting the skirting first, paint the walls and the skirting, then call the sander and finally fill the gaps between the floor and the sanded boards. The sander is arguing for sanding the floor first and doing all the rest later. He said that in this way the skirting will be much neater placed on my boards. The builder acknowledges that but says that this is nothing compared to the hassle of painting on newly sanded boards. In addition, filling the gap between the skirting and the floor will make my skirting look neat anyway. Incidentally, it will be me doing the painting and I am not exactly a professional.

Who should I trust?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
the only reason i can think the builder wants to put the skirting on first is to complete the job and get paid
who is going to wipe down the dust before painting!!! perhaps thats what has put him off :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

the only reason i can think the builder wants to put the skirting on first is to complete the job and get paid
who is going to wipe down the dust before painting!!! perhaps thats what has put him off :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

the builder is arguing for painting first and then sanding - so no dust to wipe before painting. Both builder and sander are arguing that there will be no dust anyway with the exception of the stairs

Thanks

if you dont leave the skirting off you either have a bit missed on the flooring or a mark on the skirting unless edging sanders have changed
properly fitted skirting should be tight to the flooring with around 3mm max to fill in at the odd point

Sponsored Links
if you dont leave the skirting off you either have a bit missed on the flooring or a mark on the skirting unless edging sanders have changed
properly fitted skirting should be tight to the flooring with around 3mm max to fill in at the odd point
They haven't big-all, so high risk of damaging the newly painted skirtingboards and having to do that job again - with risk of getting paint on the newly sanded and finished floor ;)

Remover skirtingsboards (mark them on the back where they came from) - have the builder paint them when they're of. Sand and finish the floor, let the builder place back the skirtingboards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back