Floor screed and weather

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to apply a floor screed on my new house, but I do not have the windows and doors yet. The sun room has large apertures for the windows and patio doors. If it is a sand and cement screed and it will be on underfloor heating (thickness 60-65mm with fibres) will the present weather affect it negatively? Do I need to cover the window and door apertures to block wind, frost, etc?

How difficult would screeding be, room by room, for a DIYer like myself?

Sponsored Links
cement based products cure best at cooler temperatures. the longer you can prolong the curing time the better and stronger the end product will be.

but definitely NOT freezing.

wind blown rain could affect the finish.

screeding is difficult hard work. the mix needs to be spot-on. going in and out of rooms is hard work, as doorways present the toughest challenge.

if the sub-slab is bone dry, brush in some cement slurry.

you will need a straight edge, a polyfloat, a FLOOR float and some knee pads.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the feed-back.

What will be the penalty to pay if adding a bit more water to the screed mix to make it more workable? When passing a straight edge between screeds it tends to drag some of the material and leaves blemishes. Also, the very dry material is difficult to get all around the underfloor heating pipes. I am only following the advice they give that says to mix the sand and cement quite dry.

Another one: if lifting the screed guides buried in the screed after levelling the top they leave a hollow. When is the right time to fill these hollows?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back